Monday, March 10, 2008

XTERRA National Snowshoe Championship!

6 March: 60 min bike, leg strength
7 March: 30 min bike in the AM
8 March: 10 mi run, including some gnarly hills
9 March: XTERRA 2008 NATIONAL SNOWSHOE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Stupid 10 Mile Run--Work tired me out so badly that I slept for 10 hours straight without even moving. In the morning I ran with some guys from the medical group, with whom I am running the Bataan Death March with at the end of this month. I am still crossing my fingers AND my toes that this thing is going to fall through. They said we were going to run an "easy 10 mile run at around 8:00-8:30 pace." No, we didn't do that. Not at all. We ran 8:30 for about 1/4 mile, and then we hovered around 7:10. And then the hills... I just let them go. I was dying. It was so bad that I started crying while we were running. I was SO angry! My self-confidence was pretty much ZERO. Afterward I went home and slept for 5 more hours. My body was grade-A messed up. And then...

Snowshoe Championship--The next morning I woke up after the time change and prepared for a super fun day. I was 100% spent from the previous day, but I didn't care. I just wanted to say that I competed in a National Championship in something! Ping-pong didn't work out, so snowshoeing was it.

The race was super fun. I thought the course was tough, as my snowshoes are GIANT and were too long and wide to fit on the path completely. My feet and the stabilizing muscles in my lower legs KILL today. I thought about buying some of the crazy light/small snowshoes, but that wouldn't be as hard core! I had a GREAT time, and I didn't do too badly.

My goals for the race were:
-Not to finish last (i.e. beat at least one woman in the 50+ year age group)
-Finish w/in 30 minutes of the winner
-Run my heart out!

Mission Accomplished!

Victory!!!!




XTERRA 2008 National Snowshoe Championship at Snowbasin, UT

1 comment:

Benson said...

Wow, great job.
and it looks like you had a fantastic day for it. You are hard core for sure.