Monday, December 03, 2012

Suck Less Tomorrow

When I look back at my training logs, it's interesting to reflect on different milestones (and pitfalls, admittedly).  I was thinking about what I'm most proud of.  Surprisingly it isn't speed or mileage.  It's consistency. 

Life has been increasingly busy over the past couple of years.  I guess that's what happens when you gain more responsibility (in a fiscally constrained, high ops tempo environment).

I enjoy reading running and triathlon blogs.  I'm beyond fascinated by how people magically seem to juggle their work schedules (esp teachers!), their family time, and high-intensity/high-volume training.  I just don't know how they do it.  They and their families must make a lot of sacrifices to make it all happen... or they only need 3 hours of sleep per night.

My husband and I are both gone quite a bit due to our Air Force jobs (training, deployments, special assignments), and we work a lot of hours trying to take care of our people, ourselves, and the mission.  Right now huge training weeks just aren't in the cards.  And we're ok with that.

A few years ago I was on par with some athletes who decided to take it to the next level:  train for the Olympic Marathon Trials, triathlon pro cards, qualifying for Kona. 

Am I disappointed I didn't take that path?  Yes, I am.  Training is fun, and that just seems like a really cool, ambitious life goal.

But I'm extremely happy with the choices I made.  And sometimes that's all I need to suck less tomorrow.

No comments: