Saturday, September 24, 2011

Finally a legit update

5 Sept: Run 2.9 mi, strides
6 Sept: Run 5 mi
7 Sept: Rest
8 Sept: Football (and got hit in the face)
9 Sept: Run 3 mi, butt kicks/high knees/bounding, strides
10 Sept: Rest
11 Sept: Gardening (this sounds ridiculous, but it was a TON of work)
12 Sept: Run 3 mi
13-15 Sept: ?
16 Sept: Run 20 min
17 Sept: Air Force Half Marathon
18-19 Sept: None
20 Sept: 33 min elliptical, core
21 Sept: Run 40 min (slow-ish)
22 Sept: 5 rounds: 10 dumbell snatches (each arm), 15 push-ups, 10 lunges (each leg), 10 plank leg lifts (each leg), 10 supermans
23 Sept: None
24 Sept: 3.2 mi moderate run (AM), 6 mi moderate run (PM)
------------------------------------------------
Hurdles--I love running. I'm SOOOO thankful my foot is healed. I realize I can't take that for granted anymore. But my two biggest hurdles are 1) getting out of work on time (i.e. leave the office at around 5PM instead of 7 or 8 PM) and 2) finding places in town to run. I am going to develop a plan of attack by the end of this weekend.

Coach--I hired a coach to help me with my running, esp now that my foot (and knees, for that matter) feels a lot better. She's been amazing so far, and she thinks I can accomplish my goals within the next two years. I'm SUPER stoked.

AF Half Marathon--I was super lucky (it really was luck) that I got picked up to run for the Air Combat Command team, esp since I hadn't run any races since 2009. But I ran a 1:44:17, which isn't great, but considering that was the longest I had run in a VERY, VERY long time, I can't complain. I'm back!!! She told me to run the following splits:

8:35 x 2 mi
8:15 x 2 mi
8:00 x 2 mi
7:45 x 2 mi
7:30 x 2 mi
Whatever is left for last 5K

She also told me to use a heart-rate monitor during the race. Unfortunately I barely know how to use it, so I didn't know how to take any splits, or any data, really. But I used the clock at each mile marker to help me figure out if I was on track. All of my splits were within 10-15 seconds, even during the hilly miles. But I still have a lot of work to do, and my coach is super confident that I can bring my time down to 1:40 or faster by March. I'm excited!

Gardening--Holy moly I am CRAZY into gardening now. My husband surprised me and bought me all of the supplies for a square foot garden. I put it together while he was out of town (which turns out is a TON of back-breaking work), and I have quite a few things growing in there. Gardening is a really fun hobby, and I am lucky to have something that truly de-stresses me. Even running is a stressor sometimes, but there is ZERO pressure with my garden. Plus it's amazing to eat the delicious things you've grown yourself. The growing season here in GA is also very long!

No comments: