Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Run

16 April
.
Boston Marathon, 3:43:46
------------------------------------------------------
Night Before--I usually eat sushi with lots of soy sauce. And ice cream. And gatorade. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of these things, and I didn't eat very much, especially electrolytes. For some reason I had a hard time preparing myself mentally for this race too. Weird.
.
Pre-race--A very nice Canadian man rents a van every year to drive to the race start. I rode with these guys last year. I paid $15 to drive with these guys to the race and sleep for an extra 2.5 hours! It's wonderful! I ate a lot of oatmeal with walnuts, a cup of hot chocolate, and half a bagette. Once we arrived at the race start, it was pretty tough trying to figure out what to wear and how to stay as dry as possible. The weather said rain, wind, and temps in the high 40's. I went with a visor, no glasses (ugh!), long sleeve tech shirt, short sleeve tech shirt, spandex capris, and gloves. Then we started heading out to the start line.
.
Race--The weather wasn't too bad. Some parts were pretty windy, and it was wet but there were a few moments it wasn't raining. I would rather have had yesterday's weather rather than the hot weather from 2004, 2005. I ran extremely conservatively, trying as hard as possible to hit the half at 1:50:30, and then running as fast as I could for a 3:40:59, to requal. The race was really, really fun, and I was doing pretty well, until HORRIBLE leg cramps at mile 22 to the end. I have NEVER had leg cramps before, and this was unbearable. It's weird not having control of your legs. Because of the wet weather (and having to pee from mile 1), I don't think I drank enough fluid, which may have caused the cramping. I think I sweat more than I thought I did too. I was a complete mess at the end of the race, but I really had a great time. Boston is so special!
.
What went well:
Boston PR by 9 minutes!
Almost even splits--1:50:58, 1:52:48 even after Newton hills!
Had FUN (i.e. smiled at the graveyard at mile 22-ish)
I left it ALL out on the course
Pretty good performance on less-than-ideal training
Transportation to the race with my Canadian runner friends
Writing splits, gels, motivation on my wrist
.
What went wrong:
Major leg cramps at mile 22
Hormones going crazy
Need more mileage! This plan didn't work!
My body was destroyed by the end of the race
I would rather have worn a hat rather than a visor
A super-busy month just before this race
Not looking at my old running logs for lessons learned
No super pre-race getting-into-the-zone time!
.
Lessons learned:
Eat a LOT of salty foods before the race
Eat a LOT before the race
Get some good sleep on Saturday night
I need a plan where I run at least 5 days/week
Speedwork helped tremendously
Boston training needs to be specific for the Boston course
I am going to take a year off of marathoning
Reebok shoes are a winner!
Writing on hand/arm = awesome!
.
Splits
9:16
8:41
8:48
8:28
8:53
8:15
8:23
8:17
8:18
8:21
8:17
8:03
8:02 (1:50:58 half)
8:09
8:05
7:53
16:46 (2 miles)
8:08
8:40 (welcome to the Newton hills)
9:12
7:47
8:59 (debilitating leg cramps)
8:58
11:35 (1.1 miles)
9:25
Total time 3:43:46, total pace 8:32
First half 1:50:58
Second half: 1:52:48

Splits, gels, motivation on my hand


A wet, soggy potty line

Ready to run!

Colin's sister-in-law, Steph, Colin's bro at the finish!

It was all worth it!

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations on a great race.

E-Speed said...

congrats! Boston is so special! I hope your recovery goes well. Boston really can beat you up.