Sunday, October 08, 2006

Run

8 Oct

Run: Army 10 Miler
-------------------------------------------------------
Run--I had the race of my life today.

Army Ten Miler 2003--1:13:11 (7:19 pace)
Army Ten Miler 2006--1:12:59 (7:18 pace)

What went wrong:
Going to bed LATE (i.e. past 12:00AM)
Eating too much during an easy week
Not enough warming up (shins, ankles hating on me)
Not drinking enough fluids before
I forgot my sunglasses at home
Endurance Gatorade needs a water chaser

What was good:
Extremely relaxed, and had FUN
Started running hard, but controlled
Ran hard, but still NEGATIVE SPLIT, BABY!!!
No fear
Took some splits, but didn't look at the watch
Purple Asics are MCM weapon of choice
Salmon, potato, bread and OJ was a GREAT breakfast!
Ran in the middle of the road, no knee/feet problems
Saw a lot of friends

Still need to work on:
Going to bed earlier (in general, no wiggity-whack naps)
Balanced diet
Discipline during taper weeks

I've used the Army Ten Miler as a gauge for marathon fitness before in 2003, and I ran Richmond a few weeks later in 3:34. Back then I peaked at 72 miles per week and only ran two 20-mile runs. I have a lot more mileage under my belt, but a lot less speedwork. According to the McMillan Calculator, this race indicates I'm capable of a 3:24:25, but I just don't know... At any case, I'm in good shape for my 3:40 necessary to re-qualify for Boston. And a new 10-miler PR to boot! Halfway through next week the taper begins, and it will be time to strategize for the big race on 29 Oct!

Splits
7:48
7:29
7:31
7:22
7:21
7:07
28:18 (last 4, 7:05 pace)

3 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Congratulations on a great run and a PR. And I am also pretty impressed with your breakfast meal.

Jeremy said...

Congratulations. It's always nice to see someone's plans and training fall together so neatly.

I never thought about running in the middle of the road to avoid legs problems. That's an awesome idea.

Thanks for your comments. I'm still here. Just being quiet.

E-Speed said...

Good job. Always fun to PR. I haven't figured out how to run a good ten miler yet.

Hope you are figuring out the stomach issue.