Thursday, October 12, 2006

Swim

12 Oct

Swim: 3900 yd
-------------------------------------------------------
Swim--Only 3900 yd, you say?? Well, about 3000 of that was fly. I wish I was kidding. The rest was a happy mix of the other 3 strokes and 500 yd of kicking. My shoulders are sobbing right now! The set was AWESOME! I LOVE this masters coach! He knows all about my quest to train for and finish (sans DQ) the 200m fly this winter... and he supports it. In the form of a satanic fly workout. Much to the dismay of my teammates. Bwahahaha!

Experiment--Day 1. Today was crazy liquid day. This morning I had a huge glass of Gatorade, a bottle of water, 2 classes of chocolate milk, and 2 glasses of OJ. I did some running around (being a grad student rocks!), and I drank some water on the go. I came home and drank some more chocolate milk and water. I do feel a bit better, but the baseline problem isn't gone. Someone suggested it might be a food allergy since I've had this stomach problem for some time. "Food for thought." Hahaha!

Mental--School, family, research, marathon, random stuff has me pretty stressed out right now. I was thinking about what I would do if I wanted to do something really fun (besides mtn bike, of course). Then it hit me like a big yellow school bus. I LOVE GOING TO IKEA! Few things make me happier than that super warm, happy feeling I have when I walk through the doors to Ikea, when I smell the $1 gooey cinnamon buns begging me to eat them, when I see all that furniture with all the funny Swedish names (my desk is called the Jerker). Next time I am feeling down I am going to Ikea!!! Perked me RIGHT up today!!!

Blogs--This is to the 1 or 2 people who read my blog every once in a while. If you guys make a comment, where do I comment to your comments? Right in my blog? On your blog? In the comments section in my blog?? Help! I am not aware of the proper blog etiquette! I do enjoy reading all of the blogs in the Alliance though, and I sincerely appreciate your comments. I am just now figuring all of this out. Please accept my apologies and help me! Thank you.

Strategy--The phases of my customized periodization are almost complete. X-training this winter is going to be fun! More on that later. I also finished my marathon pace/split time spreadsheet. It's broken down like this: miles 1-10, 11-16, 17-20, last 10K. I will take a split at every mile, but I just don't like to look at my watch much. So I'll write those special mile splits on my arm and when I hit the 11, 17, and 20 mile markers I can adjust accordingly. I bought more gels today, and I haven't quite decided what flavors to use for the race. BUT the best way for me to pin them on my shorts is by the top of the gel flap to the OUTSIDE of my shorts. Then I just flip them into my shorts, two in the front and two in the back. I will eat the front gels first. I can just rip the gels from my shorts and the safety pins and ripped off gel tops will be on the outside of my shorts, causing zero chaffing. I've practiced this. For you marathon runners, if you want my spreadsheet for those splits, let me know.

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

Steph,

Thanks for the great tip on the gels. I have always just stuck them in the front pockets of my shorts and never am fully comfortable with them flopping around a bit.