Sunday, October 15, 2006

Run

15 Oct

Run: 9.4 mi
-------------------------------------------------------
Run--I missed the pace run on Friday, so I just did it today. I was supposed to run 3:51 half-miles. Oops. I'll try this run one more time before the marathon to practice consistent marathon pacing. The purpose was to test a pace I could hold for a marathon.

Splits
Home to Capital Crescent Trail (1.7 mi) 15:20
3.5-4.0, 4:02 (downhill half)
4.0-4.5, 3:48
4.5-5.0, 3:50
5.0-5.5, 3:42
5.5-6.0, 3:43
6.0-6.5, 3:37
6.5-6.0, 3:51 (uphill half)
6.0-5.5, 3:37
5.5-5.0, 3:48
5.0-4.5, 3:50
4.5-4.0, 3:47
4.0-3.5, 3:39
CCT to home (1.7 mi), 14:04

Experiment--Even though I’m a research scientist (my day job), I managed to royally screw up my personal experiment. I had some stomach problems, and suddenly I feel a LOT better! Even though I managed to botch all of my controls, a combination of changes in my daily life seemed to work:

--Drinking a LOT of fluids (esp. in the morning—huge glass of OJ, several glasses of chocolate milk, lots of water, Gatorade, cups of hot tea)
--Eating a lot less(this seemed to make the biggest difference)
--Nutrition plan (see below)
--Rest: go to bed between 9:00 and 9:30, read a book for an hour, meditate en route to sleep
--Do at least one fun activity during the weekend to unwind!

Nutrition--I am obsessed with the Food Pyramid website. I have a checklist of all veggie and fruit colors and number of servings per week, as well as different types of grains and protein sources. I have been pretty diligent about trying to eat all colors and types of everything throughout the week. My new rules: 1) drink a huge glass of OJ, eat a dairy source and piece of fruit in the morning, 2) salad with either lunch or dinner. I don't mind having rules because it helps me better track what I eat, I like those foods, and I can resist the urge to go out of control food-wise during this taper phase.

Weekend--Wow, where do I start?! Friday night (my night to stay home and relax) included the hip hop dance instruction video (MUCH FUN!). Saturday included the TNT run, mini DC tour, friends taking me out to lunch in DC, and a great evening at the 'gogue for some singing, dancing, sweets, friends, and liquor. Sunday morning included the most fun and meaningful service of my life. This holiday is crazy, and it's my favorite. Dancing around with the scrolls is one of the most meaningful and memorable experiences I cherish. This great day included the run mentioned above and great weather. (Needless to say, I neglected a LOT of blog reading.) Such a fantastic and beautiful weekend!

No comments: