Sunday, October 22, 2006

Run

22 Oct

Run: 6.4 mi
-------------------------------------------------------
Run--1.7 WU, 3 mi at 3:51/half mile (quasi-marathon pace), 1.7 cool.

Splits
3:44
3:44
3:54
3:57
3:49
3:49
Total 3 mi in 22:59 (7:40 pace)

3:5x were not-so-easy today. It's not quite time to freak out... yet. Relax.

Ritual--I am NOT superstitious at all. But I do have some special ways to achieve my special peace of mind before a race. These include but are not limited to:

-Bringing my JTS hat to the race to wear afterward
-Eating a Snickers bar and drinking a Frappuccino minutes before the start
-"Secret Weapon" (to be disclosed at a later date)
-Purposely putting a song into my head. This year it's this song. With a healthy dose of these guys.
-Writing splits and stuff all over myself
-Reading and reflecting on some quotes

-------------------------------------------------------

--I do not run to add days to my life--I run to add life to my days. –Ronald Rook (my favorite)

--We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon. – Emil Zatopek

--I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart. – Mike Fanelli

--Enjoy your pain, you've earned it. – Anonymous

--A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways as they're capable of understanding.– Steve Prefontaine

--Winners don't do different things. Winners do things differently. – Anonymous

--The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them. – Anonymous

--No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes. – Don Kardong

--Running is my church. – Joan Van Ark

--Running won't kill you... you'll pass out first. – Anonymous

--Pain is weakness leaving your body. – USMC

--Do what others won’t do today so you can do what others can’t do tomorrow. (USAFA Basic Training credo)

--Lesson learned here is that good and bad miles come and go in the marathon and in all races.

--You have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning. – Billy Wilder

No comments: