Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bike, Swim, Stretching

30 Nov

Bike: 60 min
Swim: 5500 yd
Stretching: 10 min
------------------------------------------------------
Bike--I went mtn biking out at Cabin John Regional Park in Bethesda today. The trails are rated beginner. I had a GREAT time out there! The weather was perfect too. It's a great place to work on basic mtn biking skills. I LOVE my mountain bike!!!!

Swim--I moved up to the fastest lane on my masters team today. And I got it handed to me. Big time. Wow, I am going to be sore tomorrow. I can't remember the whole set, but there was a LOT of fly and a LOT of 200 IM. My abs are shredded from all the fly kicking. I hope I can hang with them from now on. They were very nice!

Lessons--I listed to Simply Stu's podcast yesterday (while doing radon homework), and I really enjoyed it. Stu's coach, and the coach of RaceAthlete, spoke about the focus and purpose of the off-season, which was really informative. I don't have the funds to hire a coach, but I have read quite a bit on periodization. It was reassuring to hear that his thoughts on how to train in the off-season are very similar to mine. And Desiree Ficker is AMAZING! I met her at the IronGirl Triathlon last August, and she is just an amazing person. To hear her account of her Kona race was incredible. The best part of the interview was when she talked about her friends yelling "Drop the bomb!!" That rocks!!! The podcast was chock full of triathlon (and life) lessons--patience, consistency, discipline (in training, recovery, and nutrition), pushing aside the pain, mental strength, and positive attitude. Those pros are amazing.

1 comment:

i am Susan said...

Desiree Ficker is amazing. We just watched IM world championships on Saturday on NBC....she is so inspiring.

Great Blog!!