Sunday, November 12, 2006

Run, X-train, Core

12 Nov

Run: 3.5 mi
X-train: Elliptical 30 min
Core: 7:30
------------------------------------------------------
Run--The rain was coming down pretty hard, and I didn't want to run for an hour (legs still feeling a bit weird). I really don't mind running on treadmills at all!

Core--I love THIS WEBSITE! Earlier this week I did 1:30 intervals. With the JFK 50 Miler this weekend, I don't want my abs to shred apart, so 0:30 intervals seemed reasonable, slowly and with good form. I did some pull-ups at the gym (I can only do 2 right now!). Time to work on those! I really miss working out with my friends, so through the instant messenger, one of my best friends from South Dakota (our Motherland) did the entire ab workout with me. We call it "virtual workouts." We went on quite a few "virtual runs" earlier this year. We would agree to run at the same time for 30 minutes (often more) and try to leave and come back at around the same time. It's a great way to muster the motivation to go outside in the winter if you know someone else is going out at the same time.

Training--I was thinking about all the Ironman athletes who competed last season. You all are brave (crazy) people! I know that's not for me, at least right now. Right now being next 5 years or so. My former roommate at the Academy and I were co-captains of the Marathon Club. Her first marathon was a 5:57 and her second marathon was a DNF. She works RIDICULOUSLY hard and she is an amazing athlete, but she promised herself she would never run another marathon until she could guarantee she could run a sub-4:00. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Anything longer for her just isn't fun; it's a death march. That's the way I see Ironman. Not only is my body (and mind) NOT mature enough to handle 140.6 miles, but I need to come up with a similar rule to my roommate. I don't even want to attempt an Ironman until I can consistantly run sub-3:30 marathons and average a 20+mph speed bike in an olympic tri. I don't want to qualify for Kona or win (obviously). But I would race to a) finish and b) finish in a healthy state.

Race Strategy--Of course, that had me thinking about this weekend's race, my FIRST 50 miler.

Goals for Saturday:
Goal A: Finish in one piece in under 12 hours and have a religious experience
Goal B: Finish in several pieces in under 12 hours (not lose any pieces)
Goal C: Not get lost and eventually make it to the finish in the same weekend

1 comment:

Mike said...

Steph,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Re: the glasses in the rain...yeah, not much you can do except deal with the wet lenses. Thankfully, most of the winter riding is aerobic in nature *slower* so hopefully not too dangerous with the limited vision! ;-)

50 miler - SOLID. Looking forward to reading your race report. Taper up!