Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Swim

29 Nov

Swim: 4500 yd
------------------------------------------------------
Swim--HUGE MILESTONE! I broke 200,000 yd for the year! The purpose of the set was aerobic and to work on freestyle skills.

The Set
400 SKPS
4x100 IM (nailed them all on 1:45)
12x100 free (50 dr/50 sw)
50EZ
5x200 free pull
50 EZ
12x100 kick (odd fly, even free w/ fins)
200IM

Reflection--As I rode my bike to the pool, I was thinking about how excited I was to jump in swim a good set. I almost take for granted now how I can just jump in and even come up with a good set on the fly (pun intended).

Who I was:
Ran indoor track in high school for purely social reasons
4:41 first marathon as a sophomore in college
Cut from college cross country team (I was the only one!)
Earned D's in water survival and swimming at USAFA
For a month I couldn't figure out how to work the shifters on my road bike
I really thought triathletes were nuts and I could NEVER EVER finish one
Deathly afraid of group rides
Zero pull-ups
Terribly intimidated and unfocused

What I have become:
Started swimming a year and a half ago
Competed in several swim meets and open water swims
Elected swim team captain, supports the team
Placed in my AG in 3 of 4 tri's in my very first season this past summer
3:27 marathon PR, 3:33 this season
Finished Boston 3 times, negative split 3 marathons
Can do 8 pull-ups, push-ups until my arms fall off
Completed a 50 mile race in 9:49!!!
Stronger and more dedicated than I have ever been before
Lifetime athlete

Motivation--I think the source is the title of my blog. We're only given one body, but sometimes we're fortunate enough to have second (third, fourth, or more) chances to try to take one more step further, faster. I feel more and more alive with every swim-bike-run I finish. I also achieved each of my goals in my profile, which really fueled my desire this year. The new goals for 2007 will push the envelope. Those goals will still have to wait until the end of the month. It's a great day to be a triathlete.

Goals for the 2006 Season
1) requalify for the Boston Marathon at Marine Corps Marathon 2006
2) finish my first 50-mile race
3) enjoy my first triathlon season in summer 2006

No comments: