Friday, November 03, 2006

Run

3 Nov

Run: 13 mi
------------------------------------------------------
Run--The practice run of the first leg of the JFK 50 Miler. It was rough going after the three of us ran MCM last Sunday. What were some lessons we learned today??
-Get used to the feeling of ankles breaking. Embrace it!
-The Appalachian Trail (AT) is rocky as crap.
-Today was COLD!
-Carry Gatorade (fav drink powder) in those TINY sandwich baggies
-Brimmed hat/hat with a bill is a MUST!
-Tie shoes tight
-Wear high socks
-Capris were a good idea
-Hopefully the leaves (covering the death rocks) blow away
-Bring extra shoes and socks
-Use foot powder
-Memorize cut-off times
-It's FUN!!!
------------------------------------------------------
Some quotes from the day:
“Mmmm, the white cream in oreos can sustain me for a 100 miler.”

“BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!”

“Where IS the trail?!”

“Dammit, it looks like I brought Andrea’s gloves. What the… ?! Two left-handed gloves! Looks like I’m going to have to be Michael Jackson today.”

“You brought two left-handed gloves, you can’t find the trail, and you’re a doctor?!”

“I love being a weapon of ass.”

“I love that feeling of bones snapping.”

“My knees don’t need this.”

“Good thing none of us ran a marathon 5 days ago!”

“The race director needs to use a leaf blower out here.”

“At least we have the camera to identify our bodies…”

“When I ran this last time, I didn’t even make it this far!”

(upon seeing a full set of long underwear carefully placed on the side of the trail) “Uh oh, looks like someone didn’t make it…”

Trevor--“I did this skateboard grinding thing off that log, then tripped over my own feet and started hurling my body down this hill! Good thing you caught me!” Mike--“If I had seen you coming, I would have moved out of the way!”

“So the first stick tripped me and then the second stick was pointing straight up from the ground toward my throat.”

“My body lost 5 pounds in the form of snot today.”

“These switchbacks are sweeeeet. My knees are loving this.”

“Pick up the pace, you’re almost home!”

“We ran 13 miles?! It’s not even 13 miles to the other car! I’m not feeling very good about this!”

"Instead of running a 100 miler, I'd rather nail a 2x4 to my knees and ankles. It hurts the same but I'm less tired."
"Now, WE TAPER!"

Professional photography here! (I'm on the left)

Shout-Out--Good luck to all the IMFL athletes this weekend!!!! We're so proud of you!

1 comment:

E-Speed said...

so do you have crew? is that how you are bringing extra shoes? I cannot wear my road shoes on those rocks but I am also not sure about how my trail shoes are going to feel after 26 miles on the towpath!

Fun quotes! Sounds like a great run!