Sunday, September 03, 2006

Run, Core

3 Sept

Run: 15K race
Core
------------------------------------------------------
Run--Greenbelt 15K in 1:12:46 (7:48 pace), which was 18 seconds slower than last year. This race was supposed to be one of the milestone races leading up to my marathon. I still have a lot to learn. The course was shaped like a "T." We started at the bottom of the "T" and then we ran down this crazy steep hill for the first 3K. The rest of the course consisted of rolling hills, and then we had to go back up that crazy hill at the end. Splits--23:27, 24:28, 24:49. This was NOT a negative-split-type of course, and I knew that ahead of time.

What went wrong:
Didn't drink enough fluids over the past few days
Eating like a hog (hormones are starting to peak again)
No regular sleep schedule (blame grad school, haha!)
Allowed myself to be intimidated by the course
Huge sideache for about 8K, I have no idea what caused this
One too many rest days

What was good:
Only 18 seconds slower, that's pretty good. I was in good shape last year!
8:30's are still within reach
Ran the last 1K as fast as I could, left it all out on the course
Went to the bathroom before the race started
Race t-shirt and a friend came with me to run!

Still need to work on (and, yes, I still have time!):
Anxiety and fun factor of running--who am I running for and why?
Patience!!! (Although I'm MUCH better!)
Hydration when I'm not working out
Keeping track of what I eat throughout the day (waaay too much this week)

It's ok, I'm still in good shape for the marathon. This is going to take some focus and concentration, but it can and will be done.

No comments: