Thursday, September 07, 2006

Run, Swim, Core

7 Sept

Run: 6.5 mi
Swim: 4000 yd
Core: 14 min
------------------------------------------------------
Run--Today was a "recovery run," which actually was really fun. The first 1.5 miles were incredibly painful (lower ab pain), but like clockwork, after 15 minutes I was fine. The weather was amazing!

Swim--Our masters swim coach was MIA today for some unknown reason, so we had our own practice. We cut the set short because we didn't have a coach, but I ended swimming some extra for a round number. And swimming is FUN!

Core--Same routine, hopefully it's paying off!

Motivation--It's fun to pretend I'm racing another "Steph." Everyday "Steph" carefully plans her workouts, her meals, her rest time, her daily activities. "Steph's" life is well-balanced. "Steph" is a diligent, consistant, and FAST runner. "Steph" bugs the crap out of me. My job is to beat "Steph" at her own game. This competition shoves me out the door to train my best and seek my own balance so someday this Steph (the real one) will be a better runner, triathlete, and all-around happy and healthy woman. So far, so good.

Consistency--After practice I met up with a friend just to chit chat and to make plans for the swim race this weekend. I mentioned that it would be great if I could beat my 2 mile swim time from last May even though this race doesn't permit wetsuits. I think I have made tremendous improvement over the past 4 months. She said the same thing about herself, so we're very excited. I asked her how much per week she swims. (She's loves swimming in the same way I love running.) She said she swims an hour every day that we don't have masters swim practice, and her swimming improved by leaps and bounds from last January. Last January was the time when she made a commitment to herself. She stuck with it, and she is now totally reaping the rewards. She swims maybe 1500 to 2000 yd in an hour on her own, focusing on drills, and she also works hard during masters swimming twice a week. It's not as if she's cranking out 5000 yd every time she gets in the pool. Her consistant 1500 yd in between practices pays dividends. What a great example she is for all of us!

Goals--Goals are always on the brain. I am going to take my teammate's advice and really focus on finishing the 200 fly in a swim meet (without DQ'ing). I need a project for after the ultra, and swimming is a fun way to challenge myself. 200 fly is a TOUGH race, and the spectators always applaud for everyone who finishes. That will be me in 2007!

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

Steph,

Great job as you work towards your very impressive fall marathon and 50 miler goals!

Did you see the news about USAF Maj. Jill Metzger who disappeared earlier this week in Kyrgyzstan was found alive and returned to the base?

She is also a very accomplished marathoner and was the first female finisher of the Air Force Marathon in Dayton, Ohio Sept. 18, 2004 with a time of 3:06.