Sunday, August 13, 2006

Run

13 Aug

Run: 24 miles (9:19 pace)
------------------------------------------------------
Run--Wow, I'm tired. The run took me 3:43:30, which did not include water stops and stretching breaks (there were 7). I purposely didn't track any splits, and I made sure that the first half was slower than 10:00/mile. I knew if I didn't take it easy, my right knee and calf would completely explode. I think I am going to invest in The Stick and try to squeeze out the lactic acid before it wrecks my day. I feel a lot better now having another 20 miler under my belt for this race. This is the longest run I'm going to do (but I think I have several more runs at this distance, at a faster pace).

Injury--The leg actually feels pretty good, considering it just transported me 24 miles via pounding. Stretching has really worked, so I will probably keep doing that. I've been massaging my upper calf and ITB on my thigh pretty well, and it's been feeling a lot better.

Nutrition--I almost totally bonked on this run. I was out there in 85 degree temps (not too bad) with only two gels and some drinking fountains. Either I need to invest in a water bottle holder thing or carry more gels. I'm not sure how I am going to survive this 50 miler just yet. 14:00/mi, here I come!

No comments: