Thursday, August 10, 2006

Swim

10 Aug

Swim: 5000 yd
------------------------------------------------------
Swim--A sadistic crazy IM day at masters swim practice today! The 4 (!) sets were so hard, I can't even remember what they all were. Luckily I arrived at the pool early and squeezed in a 500 yd warm-up before practice officially started. Our coach videotaped 3 of us today, and since I was the first at practice, I was one of the lucky ones! My fly has improved DRAMATICALLY!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!! I am STOKED! Last August I could barely do freestyle at all, let alone any of the other strokes. I swam my first meet ever last March. In March I struggled to swim 200 yd in 4:10. Today I swam 4x200 yd pull all faster than 3:30. I can't believe how far I've come from just one year ago. I NEVER thought I would be able to finish a triathlon, and here I am LOVING it!

Strength--After crazy swim practice, I just wanted to see how many pull-ups I could do in a row. Today I only managed to squeeze out 4 in a row. I'll have to try again with fresh arms. 4 is pretty good for now though; I'll take that.

Injury--Still taking some time off, but swimming killed my cardio system, so it's all good! I hope to start cycling sometime soon again. But this scares me since LUCKY was the main culprit to begin with. One day at a time!

Goals--I was going completely bonkers yesterday with this no-running-thing. So I made a list of things I am looking forward to. Some of these can translate into goals. I would LOVE to swim the 200 fly, 200 and 400 IM (short course!), and 1500 free before I graduate from this masters program. Someday I would also like to finish a 100 mile race, both running and mtn bike! One of those orienteering races would be completely sick too! After thinking about it over these past few days, I think Ironman is one of those things that I will specifically train for someday, but it's not even on the radar scope right now. I hear the forest calling my name... But if my next assignment is North Dakota or Alabama or some remote AF base in Texas, maybe Ironman would be a good project! Sports make me feel so alive. It's awesome!

No comments: