Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 in Review

Swim: 221890 yd (126.1 mi)
Bike: 1171.8 mi
Run: 1530.5 mi
------------------------------------------------------
Swim--Wow, not bad considering I learned how to swim from total scratch in August 2005!!!! I can swim each of the strokes, and I moved up to the second fastest lane in masters swimming. My strongest stroke is breaststroke, though my fly and free have improved tremendously. I am even excited to compete in meets! I never ever ever thought I would be able to swim in my entire life, and I swam over 100 miles in a year! WOW!

Bike--I didn't even own a road bike until April of this year. LUCKY and I still quarrel a lot, but he seems to be warming up to the idea of riding a lot on the trainer. I've learned a lot about bikes. Like how literally everything can break on a bike the morning of your FIRST triathlon (2 flat tires, broken rear derailleur, bent aero bars, broken cleat on shoe, waterbottle cage, and more). I can change a tube in less than 5 min with minimum crap on my hands. Thank you, LUCKY, you no good piece of crap! Thank goodness for my new bike trainer. 2007 is a new year! Full of mtn biking!!!

Run--I had an absolutely fantastic running year. It started out rough in the winter with very (very) few miles and lagging motivation. I did run National Marathon (negative split!) as a train-up for Boston (also negative split!). I had run two absolutely horrible Bostons before, so I was extremely apprehensive of the race this year. But I had the time of my life!!! And I am stoked to have the opportunity to run again in 2007. Then summer picked up, and that was the best shape I have ever been in my entire life. My fall marathon training plan ROCKED!!!!!!! My race wasn't the best race (but still negative split!), but it definitely was the most memorable. And then the JFK 50 Miler absolutely crushed my soul (and body). I'm glad that's over! It sure was fun, but that was a LOT of pain. A LOT. The single race of 2006 was the Army Ten Miler. That was the best race of my entire life. I hope I can reproduce those results on 1 April 2007. One of the best experiences I have ever had was out on that course.

2006 Goals--I had 3 goals for 2006:
1) Enjoy my first season of triathlon
2) Requalify for Boston at Marine Corps Marathon
3) Finish the JFK in one piece and in the same weekend as I started

1) Tri's and I didn't get along at first. My first tri started immediately after the most lightning I had ever seen in my entire life. It was raining, my parents were moving, EVERYTHING on my bike LUCKY was broken that morning, I didn't eat breakfast, and I knew that the next day my best friend and best yellow lab ever Nacho was going to be put to sleep. I cried during the entire bike. I remember running the 10K as fast as I possibly could just so I could be done and get back to Nacho. I never ended up with a spectacular performance this season. All lakes were really hot, so no wetsuits. And I hurt my leg after a really crappy bike fit at Tri Bonzai in Falls Church, VA. I still have that injury now. But I LOVE all three sports, and I am stoked to really test myself in 2007, provided I can find some races that haven't sold out after I figure out where I'm moving. I'd LOVE to try a 1/2 Ironman or similar distance. The Oly tri rocks though!

2) MCM was an amazing experience. I went in with an amazing base, some confidence-building races, 3 goals, and a sense of purpose. I also raised $3500+ for Team in Training for one of my best friends Wendy. Even though I didn't run the time I wanted, I still qualified for Boston, and I know I can handle at least one 100 mile week! I am still amazed I pulled off that training.

3) JFK was JFK! Man, that was humbling. 50 miles is far as hell. And I now know what it's like for a foot to snap in half. At mile 39. I am definitely going to think twice before signing up for one of those again!

2007 Goals--2006 was a year of learning. 2007 is a year of application.
1) Swim 200 fly
2) Sub-7:00/mi pace for 5K+ race
3) Sub-7:15 pace for Cherry Blossom 10 Miler on 1 April 2007
4) Sub-2:45 for oly tri
5) Do an off-road tri or fat tire race for fun

Focus--I have a mantra for 2007: Consistency, strength, flexibility and injury free. I wrote it on a sticky note and stuck it to the top of my desk. There's no turning back. 2007? Bring it on!

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

Wow, what an amazing year! It sounds like 2007 is lined up to be even more monumental for you.

I will be looking forward to reading your stuff as the days go by and the accomplishment continue to mount.

P.S. So sorry about your pet. I know from experience how long that takes to get over, if we ever truly do.