Sunday, January 21, 2007

Bike, Core

21 January

Bike: 11 mi (45 min)
Core: 10 min
------------------------------------------------------
Today--I woke up at 8:30 (~5 hrs of sleep), worked solid until 11:30, showered and went to a 12:15 meeting, went home at 2:00 to eat lunch, went to another meeting from 2:30 to 5:00, drove home, worked on my thesis until 9:00 (with a yummy salad and homemade whole grain bread for dinner). I desperately need 36 hrs in a day. No long run yet again.

Weather--It's freezing, and there's a lot of really slippery snow on the ground. I have to leave especially early in the morning since I have to walk to work instead of ride my bike. There's just too much snow. And Bethesda drivers are out to kill cyclists.

Bike--The "Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" song is 5 minutes long! I can listen to that song 8 times in a row and have biked for 40 minutes! How cool is that?! Guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the week! Spent a lot of time in the big chain ring.

Core--A short workout, but effective nonetheless. Discovered a really good hip flexor exercise. Perfect for freestyle kicking.

Mp3 Player--My criteria: must use rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries, have low memory (less than 512mb), an armband, an FM tuner, no playlist capabilities, large enough size so I don't lose it, and less than $60. The Sandisk Sansa m200 and Creative Zen Nano Plus look pretty good. The Zen Nano Plus is on sale for ~$40 right now.

Progress--Time to do a damage report. My effort is pathetic right now. Last week I didn't do any quality run workouts, I didn't lift this week, I biked only once, I didn't do my long run yet, and I ate a lot of garbage. Now that I know what the problems are, it's time to make a plan to fix them. First, I need some more focused weekly training objectives. Second, I need to cut back the phone usage (sorry, Colin!). Third, go to bed earlier and force myself to wake up earlier, even if it's cloudy. Fourth, plan menus the night before. Fifth, realize that if I don't get my workouts in, my thesis will suffer. Running and triathlon keep me grounded! Strong mind and body work together. But my goals, especially my 10 Miler goal, never leave my mind. Also, my Boston Marathon acceptance card arrived in the mail today. A new week, a fresh start. Let's do it!!!

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

Anyone who can listen to Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In 8 times in a row is a stronger person than me.

Keep up the great work (and the terrific harmonies).